Friday, October 23, 2020

My Want List: Hot Wheels 2020 Case P - PT. 1

Hello and welcome to Diecast BLVD. Like the title states, today's review is all about the vehicles that I wanted out of this year's Hot Wheels case P. This case is loaded with lots of great looking models. As such, I have decided to break this review up into multiple parts. So with that being said, let's get started with part 1.

The first vehicle for this review is the '70 Chevelle SS that's apart of this year's Screen Time Mainline set. This release is basically a replica of Dominic Toretto's red Chevelle. As you all know, Hot Wheels made a different '70 Chevelle casting for the Fast and Furious 1/4 Mile Muscle premium assortment. And Dom's red Chevelle was one of the vehicles released in that assortment. Since I already had the aforementioned car, I really didn't need to get this one. However, there is one simple reason as to why I got it. I wanted this casting with this theme. The theme being red with black stripes.

Now since this is a $1 mainline, it doesn't have the same level of detail as the other premium casting. It was however, given some okay details along it's sides. It's fenders feature this car's "SS" and "454" emblems. The doors were also give some details as well. No details were applied to the front or rear of this model.

The wheels given to this release are the Hot Wheels MC5s with a chrome outer rim. This was ultimately not a bad wheel choice for this release. 




Earlier this year, Hot Wheels released Brian's Ford F-150 SVT Lightning in the Fast and Furious Motor City Muscle assortment. Like a lot of collectors out there, I was not able to add it to my collection. Thankfully, Hot Wheels decided to make a different '99 SVT Lightning casting for the mainline. And it's right at home in this year's Hot Wheels Hot Trucks mainline set. Even though it's not the same casting as the premium one, I still very much appreciate having a version of the truck in my collection.

This release's exterior was finished in a marvelous shade of metallic gold. Since the premium one is red, I really like the choice to make this mainline version's first release a different color. The color isn't the only thing that I like about the exterior. The front and sides of this model were given some nice details. The front was given detailed headlights as well as a detailed grill. The Ford emblem is also featured on the front. The details along it's sides are as follows: the "Lighting" fender emblem, the sides of the tail lights, and what appear to be implied step pad details.

All chrome MC5 wheels were the choice of wheel for this release. In my opinion, these basic wheels were the best possible choice for this casting. If you take a look at the real-life counterpart's wheels, then I think you'll agree with my opinion.

Now this casting has some other things that I like about it. Like the other version, this too was designed to have side rear view mirrors. I'm so glad this detail wasn't left out. Though trivial, I like how this mainline casting's side windows are down. On the pemium version, they are up. 



The next vehicle that I wanted, was the recolor of the '20 Jeep Gladiator that's apart of this year's Baja Blazers mainline set. Desert tan is one of those colors that just works for a vehicle like this, which is why I knew right away that I was going to like this release. Unbeknownst to me at the time, was that Hot Wheels decided to make it flat desert tan. For those of you that didn't know, I really love Hot Wheels releases that feature a flat finish. I consider these models to be unique. This is due to the sheer number of models that are gloss or metallic. So right away, this became my current favorite release of this casting. Of course that could change in the future.

When it comes to the tampo details, this recolor features the same ones as the first color release. The front was once again given headlights/grill details. The sides still feature the "Rubicon" and "Jeep Gladiator" decals. Since the "Rubicon" decal has a red outline around each letter, I feel the decal itself looks much better over desert tan.   

The wheels given to this recolor are the Hot Wheels BLOR wheels finished in grey. I actually don't have a issue with the decision to give it the same wheels as the first color. These wheels in my opinion, don't look too bad on this casting. Although I should mention, that I hope a future mainline release has different wheels. You know... just to switch things up a little.



Earlier this year, Hot Wheels shocked the collector world with the Speed Graphics release of the Nissan Silvia (S13). I'm still overjoyed with the release of it, and I can't wait to see what the future has in store for this casting. But for today, the spotlight is on this year's recolor. For this second color, the Hot Wheels design team decided to make it dark blue. Since I like most shades of blue, this was definitely a must get for me.

In terms of the design's colors, nothing appears to have been changed. This is totally fine by me, as I like this combination of gold and purple. And in my opinion, the combination look really good over the dark blue that was used. Like the first release, this too was not given any front end details. The rear end still has the same details as the first color.

Like the first color, this too is sporting the Hot Wheels lace wheels. Aside from these wheels being a great choice for this model, there is another reason as to why they are perfect for it. As you all know, this year's s13 release is based on an actual S13 Silvia that has Fifteen52 wheels. The Fifteen52 decal is even featured on this model. So that is why these wheels are the best choice for this particular release. I should also mention that they appear to be finished in a darker shade of gold than the one's on the first release. This is great because it makes them closer in color to the design.



Speeding onto the boulevard next, is the recolor of the '16 Lamborghini Centenario Roadster that's featured in this year's Hot Wheels Roadsters mainline set. A while back, I wrote a post called "Hot Wheels J Case Finds." One of the vehicles in that post was the white and red Centenario from that case. In that post, I made mention of how I felt this casting deserved a bright color. Well you could almost say that my prayers were answered, as this recolor was finished in a nice shade of red. I'm still hoping for a verde one, but for now, this will do.

This release has a few aspects that are basically the same as the white and red one released earlier this year. This of course is fine. The front and rear features the same tampo details. The Hot Wheels PR5s were used again, but this time, they were given a chrome finish. As cool as this model looks with chrome wheels, I do feel it would've look better with all black wheels. 



The next vehicle is another great exotic. The model in question, is the '17 Pagani Huayra Roadster that's apart of this year's Hot Wheels Roadsters. There is also a Super Treasure Hunt version that I suspect most will want. I on the other hand, am totally fine with this regular version. I mean... if I find the Super, then great. But you know me, I don't make those a priority. I just simply like collecting cars and that's it. I have no interest in the potential value of any diecast model. 

I really like what was done to this model's exterior. In case you didn't know, I really like how exotic cars look finished in bright colors. For me, a bright color helps to make these automotive works of art standout more. And I absolutely love the shade of metallic green that was chosen for this regular version. Shining a light onto this release makes me love it's paint even more. 

This model was given details on it's front and rear. It's always nice to see added details that add a touch of realism. With that said, the front and rear were given accurately designed light details. Silver would-be emblems were applied to the passenger side of the rear. And the Hot Wheels logo was applied to the drivers side of the rear. The top of this release was given a design, and what I like, is how it's a simple set of black stripes.

The wheels on this model's real-life counterpart have fifteen spokes. Since Hot Wheels doesn't have a fifteen spoke basic wheel, they instead chose to give this release their ten spoke wheels. Despite being off by five, the overall shape of the spokes makes this the best possible wheel choice for this model. The wheel color is one thing that I would have done differently. Dark grey is not a bad wheel color for this this green Huayra, but I would have chose to make the wheels black.



Cruising onto the boulevard next, is the Custom Otto that's right at home in this year's Muscle Mania mainline set. I'm still very happy with the decision to put this casting into the mainline. As you all know, this is the third mainline color. And personally, I like it just as much as the Target Red Edition release. The reason for that, has to do with it's exterior color. This third release was finished in a nice blue. Now some of you might be thinking that that's the sole reason for why I like so much. After all, blue is my favorite color. However, there is another reason. 

A while back, the Hot Wheels Collectors website had a special Custom Otto available for purchase. That Custom Otto was finished in a glorious looking shade of Spectraflame blue. Sadly, to this day, I still don't have any of those cars. So I think you can now understand why I feel the way I do about this release. 

The wheels are another aspect that made me like this one a lot. The purple release, which I don't have, was given gold OH5s, while the Red Edition was given MC5s with a white outer rim. The wheels given to this blue release, are the Hot Wheels 5SPs finished in chrome. These wheels simply look fantastic on this model. All I can say is that nothing beats chrome five spoke wheels on a classic muscle car. 

Like the other two releases, the main stripes on this one are white. The thin stripe is the only section of the design that got a color change. On this release, it's a shade of red that doesn't look bad over blue.

The interior is the last aspect that got a color change. Unlike the first two that were given bright interiors, this one was given a black interior. 



The recolor of the '98 Honda Prelude from this year's Honda mainline set, is the next vehicle that was checked off my want list. This casting is another one of my favorite debuting models from the 2020 mainline. I still can't believe we have finally gotten this car.

This recolor has two main aspects that were changed. The first of those aspects, is obviously it's exterior color, which is now blue. I still remember how excited I was when I first saw pictures of this recolor over on Instagram. The interior color is the next aspect that was changed. For this release, it's black.

Unlike the silver release, this one's rear end was given some additional tampo details. The rear now features this car's "Prelude" and "DOHC VTEC" emblems. These details are one of this release's aspects that makes it slightly better than the silver one in my opinion.

The Hot Wheels PR5s were once again used. Although it would've been nice to see this recolor with a different wheel, I have no issue with them being used again. 




Okay readers, that's a wrap for part 1 of this review. Do stay tuned for part 2, where I'll show the rest of my 2020 case P want list. Until then, happy diecast collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment