Saturday, September 12, 2020

Looking at: Hot Wheels 2020 Case M

Welcome back to the boulevard racers! It's once again time to take a look at another set of diecast cars, that have been checked off my want list. This time, it's cars from 2020 Hot Wheels case M. Each year, it seems like some of the better models get released in the later cases. And one things for sure, this case featured some great Hot Wheels. With that said, let's go over what I added to the boulevard.

Okay... so the first car for this feature, is the '49 Merc that's apart of the 2020 Hot Wheels Flames mainline set. This is one of those castings that sadly, doesn't get used as much as it should. This casting's history includes multiple premium releases, and one mainline release. That one mainline release, was a 2009 regular and Super Treasure Hunt. Back then, things were a little different in terms of how Treasure Hunt were released. Cases released today, always seem to have at least two of the car that's supposed to be the Super. When this car had a Treasure Hunt release, there would only be one per case, and it was ether the Super or the regular. The way it's done now, makes it easier to get great looking castings like this.

Now that I got that out of the way, let's go over this current release. When it comes to a custom led sled, one of the main aspects that you'd need, is a nice color for it's exterior. And let me say this, the Hot Wheels design team executed this flawlessly. For this release, they chose to finish it with a beautiful metallic red. Taking things a step further, is the flame design, that also has some scallop styled stripes incorporated into it. One aspect of the flames that I like, is how they start out white, and then fade to yellow. White and yellow, were a great choice to go along with this model's exterior color.

Another thing that I appreciate about this release, is how the Hot Wheels designers decided to add a design to the top of this model. When it comes to flames and scallops on a Hot Wheels release, I feel the car is more exciting when the design isn't just on the sides. Like the sides, it too utilizes flames and scallops. The overall design on the top, is made up out of four sections total. Two on the hood and two on the trunk. Overall, I like how the design makes perfect use of this car's exterior.

The next thing that's great about this release, are the wheels, which are the Hot Wheels DD8s. As you might know, there are specific Hot Wheels castings that I wanted to see with these wheels. And this is definitely one of them. My wants aside, you have to admit that the DD8s have a period correct look on this model. Additionally, I like how the outer rim was painted white. For me, this gives off the look of white wall tires.

The last cool thing about this release, is how it was given a white interior. Now as cool as this is, I will admit that the 2009 mainline release had a better looking interior. Unlike this release, the Treasure Hunt featured a multi-colored interior. Even though I feel the way I do about the interior, this alone is not enough to subtract coolness points from this release. And I definitely feel this should be in your collection as well.



The next car for this post, is one that I was very happy to find. The car in question, is the '73 Ford Falcon XB that is finally back in the mainline. The last time this casting saw a mainline release, was in 2014. This time, it was released in the Hot Wheels Flames mainline set. Sadly, this is only the second one in my collection that I like. I do have the one that was released in the Forza box set, but I don't really like that one. That however, is a different story. Today, is all about this fantastic Hot Wheels Flames release.

Now before I get to the flames, I want to point out the color, which is a marvelous dark green. Making me like the color even more, is the fact that it's a metal flake dark green. And by now, you all should know that I love how these paints look under a light. Okay... now onto the flames, which are what I truly like about this release. As a whole, the flame design isn't too wild, which is a good thing. I mean... don't get me wrong, I do like the look of a wild flame design, it's just on this car, a simple set of flames is good enough for me. On it's sides, the flames start out on the front half of the fenders. They then span the entire side until they finish on the back half of the quarter panel. See, that's what I meant by simple.

Like the '49 Merc, this too features an additional flame design on it's top half. However, the design was only added to the hood, which is of course fine by me. Though it might be hard to see in my picture, the center of the hood features also features a wide black stripe that's similar to the one on the yellow 2010 release. The simplicity of the flames isn't the only thing that I like about them. I also really like the choice of colors. Theses flames are yellow with a wide olive green outline. This color combination looks fantastic combined with the metal flake green that was used.

Further helping to complete this release, are the wheels, which are the Hot Wheels MC5s. Usually I would've preferred chrome wheels, but I will admit that gold doesn't look too bad with the overall color scheme of this release. The last thing that I like about this release, is how it was given a black interior. Personally, there was no need to liven up this release further by adding a bright interior.



Making it's mainline debut this year, is the dark blue '65 Ford Galaxie. Like the Merc, this is another great casting from Hot Wheels that should be used more. This release also has a Super Treasure Hunt version as well. But you know me, I never make those a priority. For those of you that might be new here, I simply like collecting cars, be it with diecast or in video games that allow you to save vehicles. So you will never see me make mention of not finding the Super because that's not what it's about for me. Now of course, should I find one, I will make a post about it. Okay then, now that I got that out of the way, it's time for me to go over this release.

This casting was initially released in the 2011 Vintage Racing premium set. As such, it was designed to be a race car, and I really like the racing themed design featured on it. It's doors feature a racing number within a circle. Placed on it's quarter panel, is the Hot Wheels logo done in white. The size of it and the way that it was placed, helps to further complete the racing look of this release. I also like how this release features three sponsor decals. All three of them are fantasy decals, which isn't a bad thing at all. If your new here, then you should know that I love the fake decals that Hot Wheels designs. In my opinion, their designers do a great job at making them look like real company logos.

I really like how the flames were designed, and I like the choice of colors as well. I would personally say that the flame design is green, and small sections of it's center are white. Aside from how they were designed, I also like how it spans across most of this model's sides. Even though I like this release a lot, I am a little disappointed at one of their design decisions. Since this release is sporting a racing styled design, I do feel that it looks incomplete without a design on it's top. Their designers decided to only include the top design on the Super Treasure Hunt version. This was most likely done to add value to the Super, but I feel the regular should've had the top design as well.

This release also features two more cool aspects. The first of those, are the wheels. For this release, the Hot Wheels designers decided to use the Hot Wheels 5SPs finished in a chrome green. Matching the color of the wheels, is the windshield plastic. This shade of green overall, adds some extra excitement to this release. I only say that because these two features, are the only aspects of this model that use this shade of green. At the end of the day, I hope they continue to use this casting in the mainline.   



Up next, is the '17 Lamborghini Urus, which is debuting this year in the HW Exotics mainline set. It's nice to see the production version of the Lamborghini Urus as a Hot Wheels casting. The first Urus casting from Hot Wheels, was based on the concept SUV. I might be the only one with this opinion, but sometimes, the final product of a vehicle isn't as a nice looking as the concept. Thankfully though, that isn't that case with the Urus, as I really like how this one looks. And I feel Hot Wheels did a great job recreating it in 1:64 scale. It's also nice to see how this casting was designed with side rear view mirrors.

It's exterior color, which is a great shade of yellow, is what I like the most about this first release. Additionally, if not exact, this yellow is based on the yellow that is available for the real Urus. Since I haven't personally seen one of these driving around, I decided to pull up some pictures of the real vehicle. In doing so, I came to really like the choice of wheels. This first release is sporting the Hot Wheels Y5 wheels, which have a somewhat similar look to the wheels on a Urus that was in a picture I found. I don't know about you, but I love when a Hot Wheels casting feature wheels, that are similar to it's real life counterpart.

Lastly, I like how this release was given front and rear tampo details.So that's the usual head and tail lights, as well as some bumper details. The front also features the Lamborghini emblem. One of the details on the back, is a white rectangle with a black outline. Placed in it, is ''Urus.'' Looking at this detail, makes me hope for a future release with a license plate. Now some might think that's a trivial detail on a 1:64 scale SUV, but it's those trivial details that make the model look more complete. All in all, this is a model that everyone should get.




Up next, it the recolor of the Hot Wheels Mod Rod. I don't know how you feel about this casting, but I personally love the way it looks. Long story short, I love having a modernized looking hot rod. One of my favorite aspects of it, continues to be the visible engine. That aside, I actually really like this recolor a whole lot more than the first one for this year. Don't get me wrong, the initial color is cool and all, but this recolor looks menacing. And that's a very good thing for a car like this.

As most of you already know, the initial color for the year was metallic red. The scallops on it are black with a gold outline. For this second release, the Hot Wheels designers changed it's exterior color to black. The scallop design's colors, were changed to red with white outline. Like the initial release, this too is sporting the Hot Wheels 5SPs. Even though it has the same wheels as the first color, this one's black and red wheel color, further completes that menacing look that I like.

Another aspect that I feel looks better on this one, is the ''Mod Rod'' decal that's just behind the side windows. Like the decal on the first color release, the words feature a drop shadow like outline that's the same color as the exterior. And black is a much better color for it, especially since the words on this one are red. Unlike the first one, that had the words over a circle with a gold outline, this one features a circle that doesn't use the same color as the words. On this release, the circle is all white. Being all white, made the words, as well as the drop shadow like outline, stand out more than they did on the initial color for this year.


The next car that I got, was the Batmobile. I'm sure most of you already know how this version of the Batmobile, is a Hot Wheels original. In all honesty, I really like this casting. Personally, the Hot Wheels designers did a great job creating a Batmobile that looks like it actually came from a comic series. There is one main reason that I got it, and it all has to do with the chrome on this one. You might be thinking, but Diecast BLVD, they already released a chrome one, so what's the difference. Unlike the first chrome one, this one features a dark chrome exterior. When I pulled it from the pegs, the first thing that came to mind, was wow... I really like this recolor, I am definitely adding this one to the collection!

Like the initial ones, this one was also given the Hot Wheels OH5 wheels. I also like the outer rim color. The OH5's on the first chrome one, were black with a gold chrome outer rim. On the gold chrome release, the wheels were black with a grey outer rim. And on this release, the OH5's are black with a blue chrome outer rim. This wheel color, looks really good combined with the dark chrome exterior color. It is also what contributed to me instantly liking this release. 


Up next, is the '89 Mazda Savanna RX-7 FC3S that is apart of the 2020 Nightburnerz mainline set. I won't lie, I was like a kid in a candy store when I found this casting hanging on the pegs. I mean... how could anyone not be excited. The trio is finally complete. Mattel's Hot Wheels brand in recent years, has blessed us collectors with some great Japanese cars, that were basically a missing link in everyone's collections. Or at least in mine. What I'm talking about, is how we have gotten multiple new Nissans, multiple new Hondas, and multiple new Imprezas. Like the R33 and the Prelude, the FC3S is a car that I was hoping would finally get a Hot Wheels release. And let me say this, I am not disappointed in what I'm seeing with this RX-7.

For this first release, the Hot Wheels designers decided to finish it in red, which is a great color for this car. Another reason for liking this color, is because it goes with the Kmart exclusive RX-7s that are also red. Another thing that I like about this casting, is how it was designed with side rear view mirrors. Like I've mentioned in past reviews, Hot Wheels castings that are designed with them, look more real. The next thing that I like about this release, is how it was given chrome lace wheels. I think we can all agree that BBS wheels look great on this car. 

I also like about this first release wasn't given any designs. For a casting like this, designs can definitely be saved for later releases. Of course I might be alone, but I love having plain releases of cars that I like. Now this release does have some tampo details. These details, are the usual ones that are given to a plain release like this. Now that we have this plain release, I can't wait to see what the future holds for this casting. You already know the Hot Wheels designers most likely have various drift themed designs planed for this model.




The last vehicle that I got, was the mighty Sandblaster. It's nice to see this casting back in the mainline, and it's right at home in the Hot Trucks mainline set. The last time it saw a mainline release, was back in 2014. After that, it was mostly used in various 5 packs. There was however, one that was released in the 2018 Walmart exclusive Ford Trucks set. In total, this is the third one in my collection. My first one, was the green New Models release, and my second one was the Ford Trucks release. Sometimes the newest release of a casting ends up being my number one favorite, however, that isn't the case this time. This is simply because each one is great in it's own right. With that said, let me get to the cool aspects of this release.

The Borla Since 78 continues with this sandblaster release. I'm very excited to have another Borla themed vehicle in my collection. This release makes the fourth one in my collection. Back in December of last year, I made a very short post called Team Transport hope. The post was basically talking about how I'd hope they would eventually do a Team Transport with a Borla theme. Showcased in that post, was three of my Borla themed Hot Wheels. As far as I know, the design featured on this Sandblaster isn't based on any actual Borla pickup truck. As such, the Hot Wheels designers did a great job creating a design that looks like it was replicated from a real truck. The hood of this Sandblaster also features a design, and for me, it makes the overall design look more complete.

Now as cool as this release is, it was made even better with the choice of wheels. The wheels featured on this release, are the Hot Wheels Beadlocks. What I like about them, is how the Hot Wheels design team decided to make them all black. If they wanted to, they could've made them black and chrome red, which also would've worked with the Borla theme. But all black, helps to give this truck a meaner look.  



Like I mentioned, this case featured some great diecast models. In fact, unlike some cases, I don't have a specific favorite from this one, as they are all great. Though I didn't, if you have a specific favorite from this case, feel free to let me know down in the comments section. Alright that's all for this edition of Looking at. Thanks for reading, and happy diecast collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment