Friday, February 14, 2020

Looking at: Fast and Furious basic set

There's one set that will always be collectible, and that's Fast and Furious. As much as I like the movies, that's not the sole reason I like these sets. Most of the time, this is the only way to get a certain Hot Wheels car, in a certain color. Case in point, Deckard Shaw's McLaren 720S. I remember seeing Hobbs & Shaw, and thinking to myself, man it would be nice if Hot Wheels made a 720S in that color. Well my prayers were answered with this release. I do feel, if not for this series, us collectors may not have ever gotten this car with this color. 


This Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4, is technically not new, as white was the 2010 New Models recolor. Although, this release is gloss white, while the first one is flat white. However, both use the same lace wheels. I'm glad this assortment gave me the opportunity to get a white one, since I missed out on the New Models recolor.


Another car that's technically not new, is this Nissan 370Z. This was also apart of the 2010 New Models. In fact, yellow was the debuting color for this car. The only difference this time, is the black PR5 wheels. Just like the Lamborghini, I missed out on this New Models color, and ended up with the blue one. Which is fine since I like blue, and this assortment gave me a chance to get the 370Z in yellow. 


This particular Mercedes-AMG GT, is also not new. The first one was released in the 2019 HW Screen Time series, and was flat grey. This one is more of a metallic grey. I think I like this hue of grey better. Personally, the only thing that makes the first release of this F&F AMG better, is the PR5 wheels. The wheels on that one look exactly like the wheels on the real car, versus the Y5 wheels on this one.


The '69 Ford Torino Talladega from this set, is a new one. The paint job on this one is something else. It seems like the main paint was the metal flake olive on top. Then the brown part you see, was added after as a tampo. I'm glad to have a Torino with this color scheme, but I think it's time for a new one. Dom's Ford Torino needs the premium treatment. The real car was built by Rad Rides by Troy, and is known as the GPT Special. What I'm getting at is, Hot Wheels needs to do a new premium only casting, modeled after that one. I hope one day Hot Wheels gets the legal okay to make the GPT Special.. Despite all this, this is still a very nice Torino Talladega.


Well that's a wrap for this Fast and Furious assortment. If you got any favorites from this set, feel free to leave a comment letting me know. Thanks for stopping by the boulevard, happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment