Monday, June 22, 2020

Looking at: Target Finds Part 2

It's once again time, to take a look at another set of diecast cars, that have been checked off my want list. Like the title states, this is part two of my Sunday Target finds.

I was finally able to find the 50th Anniversary edition of the '17 Nissan GTR. In all honesty, I'm a little disappointed by their decision to not make the regular version of this release blue. However, since the real car was offered with this color scheme, I will gladly accept this into my collection. And despite my love of blue, white with a red stripe actually doesn't look that bad on this GTR. This color scheme does have another plus. In my opinion, this GTR release would look nice sitting with the Skyline HT 2000 GT-X, that was released in the Team Transport assortment.


Up next is the pink '57 Chevy, which also has a Super Treasure Hunt version. Whereas most might have the Super Treasure Hunt in their sights, I personally had this version in mine. After I saw what the Super looked like, I decided that I'd like the regular version more. Like the '52 Chevy that was featured in part 1, I really love the weathered look this model has. As such, this brighter shade of pink allows the tampo details to be more noticeable. Additionally, this pink isn't used as often as some of the other colors. This in turn makes this model stand out as a unique piece in my garage. This last point may come as a shock, but I actually like how this release looks better with the DD8 basic wheels. For me, they just feel right on this '57 Chevy with the theme that it has.


The next one that I got was the '49 Ford F1 recolor. Although I still like the initial green release a little more, I can't deny how nice this shade of orange is. There are a few things however that I like about this one over the green one. The first of those things is how the pin stripes are more noticeable on this recolor. I also like the continued use of their Aero Disk wheels for this release. And the fact that they were painted white is another thing that I like. In my opinion, orange and white makes a great color combination for this truck.


Speeding around the boulevard at breakneck speeds, is the '69 Ford Mustang Boss 302. This particular release is based off of Vaughn Gittin Jr.'s '69 Mustang. Let me start with how I'm a little disappointed in how they didn't make a new casting for this Mustang. The car that this release is based on, has velocity stacks protruding from the hood. However on this release, this aspect is just a tampo detail. Now not all is bad with this release, as I do like how the retro slot wheels look on this casting. Furthermore, I feel they are a great match to the wheels used on the real car. Despite this release not having actual velocity stacks, it is still one menacing looking Boss 302 Hot Wheels release. And it's a welcomed edition to my garage.



Off roading in the hill sides around the boulevard, is the Land Rover Defender 90. Like the various Subaru Hot Wheels releases, I'm glad to see Land Rover Vehicles getting some love. And I'm also glad that this first release has a relatively plain appearance. Aside from the few tampo details that it has of course. I also really like how the Baja 5 wheels were used. I just can't get over how cool these wheels look on the various off-road releases from Hot Wheels. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for this casting.


Another car that I decided to pick up, was the recolor of the Formula E GEN 2 car. Though I still like the black one more, this shade of purple did catch my eye as a cool alternative to black. I like how this one isn't as subtle as the first one. In other words, the white features such as the base and wheels, help to brighten this release up. At the end of the day, if you like Formula E, then this is definitely a must have for you. 


Cruisin' around the boulevard next, is the Range Rover Velar. I know that I personally like how these look in black, but there's no denying how fantastic this shade of red is. As such, I think I'm starting to like this release the most. If not exact, the color is still based on firenze red. In fact, the entire color scheme on the release appears to be an actual option that was available for the real 2019 Velar. That even includes the black wheels. All in all, this is a wonderful Range Rover release from Hot Wheels.


Up next is the '57 Plymouth Fury. It's nice to finally see this casting back in the mainline, as the last few releases of it were in special Walmart sets. I don't know about you, but I for one really like how wild this release is. And the flame design is perfect, for me anyways. Flames aside, the overall design theme on this release isn't bad. In fact, I like how it's racing number gives it the look of a classic Nascar. I also like the additional tampo details that were added to the top. The number being on the roof further complements the Nascar look. Another reason that I wanted this release, was due to it featuring the DD8 wheels. In a past post, I made mention of how there are certain Hot Wheels that I wanted to see with these wheels. This is one of those cars.



Up next is the '86 Monte Carlo SS, which features another great stripe design. It's simple but effective a making this a great looking Monte. The coolest part of this design for me, is the section that's on the back half of the door. Stripes that cross over each other create some awesome looking patterns, and it's this pattern that made me like this release. Now you can have a great pattern but that doesn't mean you chose a great color scheme. Fortunately, that's not usually the case with Hot Wheels, and it's definitely not the case with this release.


You know, sometimes there's a color that makes a certain car just look good. That's just so happens to be the case with the newest color for the Audi RS 5 Coupe. The first thing that I thought when I picked it up, was wow this car looks really good in black. In my opinion, it gives the car a classy luxurious look. Black also helps to make the front/rear tampo details stick out more. In my eyes, the MC5 wheels also look really good on this black RS 5. At this point, this is my new number one favorite release of this car.


The Jaguar XJ220 is another release that I'm glad to have been able to find. Before the 2016 Gran Turismo release, the last time this car was used, was back in a 2011 5 pack. So it's great to see this car finally getting some love again. There are three thing that I like with this release. First and foremost, is the design. I like how it features the jaguar from the logo, and it's cool how a checkered design was placed over it. The second thing that I like is the color. After the 2019 release, it's nice to see how another great color was used for this car. Since this release has a racing number, I feel that the lace wheels were a perfect wheel choice. I also like how they are grey, as this helps to keep the main focus on the color and design.


The BMW Z4 M Motorsport, which features a cool looking design inspired by the official BMW racing liveries, is the next car. Though a race car, I actually like how plain this release is. I know I'm always going on about how race themed cars lack in the decals department. But all in all, I have to admit that this particular Z4 release doesn't look too bad. Further adding to this opinion are the grey lace wheels, which like the Jaguar, I feel help to keep the main focus on the car it's self.


Up next is the red '19 Mercedes-Benz A-Class. At first I thought the initial white one would be my permanent number one favorite, but all that's changed with this release. Even though this release is in the Nightburnerz mainline set, I appreciate how it's plain. I really like this shade of red too. It also looks good with black wheels as well. And speaking of the wheels, I like the use of their ten spokes, as they have a similar appearance to the OEM wheels used for the real car. It's also nice to see that this models was once again given front/rear tampo details.


New for this year is the 2019 Kia Stinger GT. The first aspect that's great about this release, is how it was finished in a color similar to Kia's micro blue. Further adding to the realism of this model, are the Y5 wheels. Despite not looking entirely like the spokes from the real car, they do still have a similar appearance. Front and rear tampo details were also added to this model. After looking at all these features inspired by the real car, you have to admit that this is was a fantastic first release. I for one hope that this casting gets a few more plain releases, that are finished with some of Kia's other colors for this car. For example, how about a sunset yellow one.


The TV Series Batmobile is up next. This release also has a I.D. chase version that you should be on the lookout for. I on the other hand, am perfectly fine with not finding that version. In case you're new to the boulevard, I don't make Treasure Hunts or chase releases a priority. Years ago I found collecting to be more fun this way. Small talk aside, there was just one reason that I decided to get this one. Despite having a few other releases of this car, the wheels are the main reason that I wanted it. You have to admit that this Batmobile looks awesome with the Retro Slot wheels. I also like how it's black with the red pin stripes.


Blue! It was all about the color for me with the recolor of the Custom Cadillac Fleetwood. As I mentioned with the green release, it's nice to see this car being used again. Like the green release, this too has pin stripes that are a brighter than the body color. It's also great that it wasn't given black wheels with a blue lip. Despite blue being my favorite color, I still can't decide which of the two are my favorite. In all honesty, the green one looks just as good as this one. Ultimately though, I have my fingers crossed that Hot Wheels will continue to use this car for more mainline releases.


The last car for this two part looking at series, is the '91 Mazda MX-5 Miata. I was very delighted to find out this was going to be the next release of this car. Since the first release had a simple design, I thought the next one was going to have a design that would cover most of the car. In terms of how much I like this release, it's up there with the green Gamestop version. And to be honest, I'm starting to like this one a little more. This is all due to it's shade of yellow, which I feel looks marvelous on this MX-5. I also think this release looks great with the grey MC5s that were used. However, I do hope we eventually get a release of this car that doesn't use some type of 5 spoke wheel.


I'm still in the process of trying to figure out if I want to do the Target mail in or not, since most of the cars from this case are good. If I do decide to do the mail in, I will let everyone who races on the boulevard know. Alright racers, before you get back to racing, do have a favorite among the cars featured in this post? Feel free to let me know your thoughts down in the comments section. Until next time, happy collecting!

No comments:

Post a Comment